Choose Wichita > Summer Interns
Calling All 2023 Interns
Welcome to Wichita, interns! This page is your one-stop source on how to have a #RelentlesslyOriginal summer our state's largest city. Learn local lingo, discover the best local eateries and find things to do that will make you reimagine what you think you know about life in Wichita. Here, you're called to be bold, determined and innovative without compromise. Get a glimpse at life in Wichita.
Sign Up for Weekly Texts
Whether you’ve been in Wichita for 10 minutes or 10 years, these weekly events text messages from #DowntownWichita will clue you in to the best things to do in the city. No spam, zero annoying messages, just weekly events, perfect places for new memories and friends. Text EVENTS to 1 (888) 678-1540 and you’re ready to roll.
Advice from a Past Intern
"I moved to Wichita for a summer internship with Koch Industries. While I was busy innovating and creating value during the day as a business systems analyst intern, my evenings were spent with fellow interns exploring the city. During my time here, I’ve found numerous hidden gems that you can find only in Wichita."
Get Insight from Trevor
Learn the Local Lingo
Wichitans share a few words and phrases that may be unfamiliar to first-time visitors. Here's a few to prepare you for your summer in Wichita.
Fill Me In
Free [and Affordable] Things To Do
There are lots of things to do in the Wichita region for every budget - but who doesn't love free things to do? Here's a list of #RelentlesslyOriginal activities you can do with little to no cost:
- Shop & Grub art market at Naftzger Park, every third Sunday with free admission
- Karaoke at Vorshay's Cocktail Lounge, hosted by Big Will, every Tuesday
- Naftzger Park (or any one of the city's public parks, like Riverside Park with its mini zoo, OJ Watson Park with mini golf and kayaks or Sedgwick County Park)
- Farmers markets, like Old Town Farm and Art and Kansas Grown
- Free weekly fitness classes at Bradley Fair, including yoga, HIT, barre, MADabolic and more
- Wichita Art Museum has free general admission
- Keeper of the Plains Ring of Fire
- Great Plains Nature Center
- Ulrich Museum of Art always has free admission
- First Friday art crawl
- Douglas Design District mural crawl
- Jurassic Golf at Field Station: Dinosaurs in Derby is $16.75/person
- The Kansas African American Museum is $6 for adult admission
- Botanica is $10 for adult admission. Stay up to date on their seasonal events.
- Cowtown is $9 for adult admission
Use #internICT and #RelentlesslyOriginal when you share your adventures on social media for a chance to be featured!
Wichita has more than 1,000 restaurants with a diverse range of cuisine. With so many #RelentlesslyOriginal eateries, it can be tough to decide where to eat. Here's a few can't-miss, always amazing eateries:
- Doo-Dah Diner
- First Mile Kitchen
- Bramble Café at Elderslie Farm
- The Belmont (also has great brunch!)
- Nortons Brewing Company
- Connie's Mexico Café
- Mi No Bakery
- The Monarch
- Knolla's Pizza
- Public at the Brickyard
- Dempsey's Burger Pub
- Picasso's Pizzeria
- The Anchor
- Il Vicino
- Molino's Mexican Cuisine
- Viola's Pantry
- Tanya's Soup Kitchen
- Paleteria La Reyna
- Cocoa Dolce
- Papa's General Store
- Churn and Burn
- Central Standard Brewing
- Hopping Gnome Brewing
- Mort's Martini Bar
Need more recs? Follow local food blogger @wichitabyeb on Instagram or go to www.wichitabyeb.com for a seemingly never-ending list of eateries.
Make the Most of Your Summer