13. There are more than 100 murals throughout the city, with more than 60 in the Douglas Design District alone.
14. The Sedgwick County Zoo is one of the top ten largest zoos in the nation, home to nearly 400 species and 3,000 individual animals. Its elephant area is the second-best zoo exhibit and third-largest elephant habitat in the country.
15. A towering bigfoot statue named Brian roams throughout downtown Wichita encouraging residents to support local.
16. A ring of fire ignites every night around the Keeper of the Plains, an experience you can’t have anywhere else in the world.
17. Riverside Park has a mini zoo featuring over 25 species.
18. Wichita is the #1 unique art town in the U.S. as reported in a blog by CubeSmart.
19. A local radio host and sports enthusiast founded League 42, a baseball league with a flat fee per family rather than per player, making the sport affordable for all who wish to play.
20. The largest acrylic mural in the world by a single artist is in Wichita on a grain elevator.
21. The Pop-Up Urban Park is a park in downtown Wichita that transformed an underutilized eyesore into a vibrant public space with space for food trucks, a ping pong table and events.
22. Revolutsia offers an above average experience – it’s restaurants and shops are inside stacked shipping containers.
23. The Wichita Art Museum has more than 10,000 pieces in its collection, including 13 sculptures in the outdoor Art Garden.
24. The annual Wichita-founded "stubbornly independent" Tallgrass Film Festival has been ranked as one of the top 25 coolest festivals in the world, attracting international film makers, directors and aficionados.
25. Wichita Riverfest is the largest and longest running community event in the state, drawing nearly half a million people along the river for concerts, food, contests and fireworks.
26. Throughout downtown, you’ll discover alley and back-of-building doors repurposed with vinyl renderings of artwork created by Kansas artists.
27. Open Streets ICT annually shuts down a significant portion of a main street in downtown, encouraging Wichitans to be active, support local organizations and build community pride – all free of charge.
28. Local microcinema mamafilm showcases films from all over the world with a focus on nurturers and love to encourage productive dialogue and community building.
29. The Advanced Learning Library, recently built in downtown Wichita, was selected as an honorable mention for Library Journal’s “New Landmark Libraries” for excellence in areas such as sustainability and innovation.
30. While the original 44-foot Keeper of the Plains sculpture by artist Blackbear Bosin stands at the confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers, there are more than 30 10-foot “Keepers on Parade” throughout the city that have been transformed by local artists.
31. Five local artists are working on inter-sensory art experiences to be placed in Gallery Alley, making a conscious effort to serve individuals who are blind, visually impaired and for those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
32. The Museum of World Treasures is home to Ivan, one of the most complete T-rex sculptures in the world.
33. Arthur Gunn was the runner-up in the 2020 season of American Idol – a native of Nepal who has called Wichita home for the last several years.